October 28, 2017

The Barcode building project in Oslo, Norway

Barcode buildings with the new library at right
Bjørvika Barcode consists of twelve narrow high-rise buildings of different heights and widths. The buildings are built with some space in between them, thus jointly resembling a barcode. Barcode houses leading national and international businesses, and 10 000 people work here on a daily basis. The buildings also contain 400 apartments and a daycare center. On street level, you'll find a varied and attractive selection of restaurants, shops, galleries and other service providers.

Barcode-buildings in the back as seen from Sørenga (to the left the new Edvard Munch Museum)
The Barcode architecture
The BARCODE architecture concept was developed by the Norwegian firms DARK and a-lab, in collaboration with the Dutch agency MVRDV. The BARCODE concept is designed as a geometric system that stands out architecturally. The concept incorporates values such as openness to the fjord, admittance of light and airiness.
Based on the BARCODE concept, the twelve buildings are designed by different architectural firms. Besides the overall shape, the buildings are very different. Each building has its own distinctive character, and enjoyable architectonic details and quirks make Barcode an architectural experience quite out of the ordinary.

Ref. text: visitoslo
Photo: Jack R. Johanson (iphone6+)

October 23, 2017

More October mood from Valdres in Norway

A small lake close to the Danebu Resort in Nord-Aurdal, Valdres, Norway
Same lake in backlight

October 17, 2017

Moody October morning in Valdres, Norway

Morning by a small mountain lake in Nord-Aurdal
As the sun rises an October morning outside our cottage
The Madam enjoying the fine October day

October 14, 2017

The first snow in the season. Valdres in Norway

Mid October but already the first layer of snow is in place.
The small gravel road leading  into our mountain cottages in Mid Norway.

October 10, 2017

Karl Johans gate the main street in Oslo, NorwaySaturday

Saturday in Karl Johans gate

Karl Johans gate is the main street of the city of Oslo, Norway. The street was named in honor of King Charles III John, who was also King of Sweden as Charles XIV John.

Karl Johans gate is a composite of several older streets that used to be separate thoroughfares. The eastern section was part of Christian IV's original city near the ramparts surrounding the city. When the ramparts were removed to make way for Oslo Cathedral, three separate sections eventually became Østre Gade.

The wider western section was built during the 1840s as an avenue connecting the newly erected Norwegian Royal Palace with the rest of the city. In 1852, it was named Karl Johans gate in honor of the recently deceased king. 

When the Norwegian parliament building was completed in 1866 at the junction of the two formerly separate streets, the two streets were joined and the whole length was named Karl Johans gate. 
Ref:  WIKI.

The same view under the Oslo Marathon  - the tail of the runners.
The street as it looks when you enter it from the side of the Central Station

October 4, 2017

Autumn in October. Alby Manor. Jeløya (island) in Oslofjorden. Norway

The park in front of the Alby Manor at Jeløya.
Alby manor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coordinates: 59 ° 25'27,944 "N 10 ° 36'36,436" Ø (map)

Alby manor is the oldest farm in Jeløy, and has roots back to early Viking times. 
Jeløy is also a special area with its distinctive nature. Søndre Jeløy Landscape Protection Area was established in 1983, and helps to preserve the historic character of the landscape.

The park of Alby consists of a lawn of fruit and acacia trees. The park is designed so that you have the feeling of being on a beach ground by a mound hiding underlying fields that lie between the park and the sea.

The woods located at Alby are a very popular hiking area. There are high-quality trails that make the area easily accessible, also for disabled people.

Jeløya was actually a peninsula in the Oslofjord, but was divided from the mainland in 1855 by the Moss canal (Mossekanalen) a 20-meter broad canal that was built through the low isthmus. 

Walking the gravel road from the Manor - a popular path at Jeløya

Along the shores to the Oslofjord